Aug 08, 2020
(and last updated on Aug 09, 2020)
Following my discovery of the PC-98 series of computers and their Yamaha FM sound cards, I came to hear many of Ryu Umemoto's excellent compositions. These have a very distinct sound compared to other soundtracks on the same hardware. In an attempt to allow myself and others to replicate this sound without needing to use tracker software/MML, I decided to create a Soundfont for none other than EVE burst error.
How this Soundfont was Created:
Tools: 98FMPlayer, BambooTracker, OST audio in PMD format, Audio Recording Software (FL Studio in this case but Audacity, etc would work fine), Polyphone.
1) Obtain the OST audio data in PMD format from Hoot.
2) Open 98FMPlayer and open a PMD file from the archive.
3) Identify a sound from the 6 FM channels you wish to isolate.
4) Open the "Tone viewer" and copy the data for the corresponding FM channel.
5) Open BambooTracker, create a new instrument and double-click it.
6) Right-click anywhere in the newly opened window, hover over "Paste envelope From" and click "PMD".
7) Open an audio recorder of your choice and use Stereo Mix as the input.
8) Click record and move back to the BambooTracker instrument window.
9) Hold down the "Z" key for a C note and continue to do so until an adequate amount of audio has been recorded.
10) Remove the silence from the recorded audio, normalise and export as .wav.
11) Open Polyphone and create a new Soundfont.
12) Click "Add a sample" and select the exported .wav file.
13) Highlight the imported .wav in the sample list and click "Add an instrument" ensuring "Link selected samples" is checked.
14) Highlight the created instrument and click "Add a preset".
15) Save the Soundfont and open in a Soundfont player of your choice.
I'm sure this isn't the most effective or efficient way of doing this but so far it seems to have worked without too significantly impacting audio quality. If anyone happens to have a better method, please leave a comment.
I've tried to include as many individual sounds from the OST as possible however as this is not native hardware, changes that occur to the sound during playback cannot be replicated.
NOTE - The presets are not ordered or with correct labels.
Feel free to make any modifications/improvements to the Soundfont where you see fit.
A link to a remake of Diary III from the EVE burst error OST in FL Studio 20.7.1 32 Bit + Fruity Soundfont Player can be found in the "More Info" section.